The most fun part of any DIY project is selecting the best tools. If you are a frequent DIYer, then you must have a vast collection of tools. But there are some, no one should live without this year. So, let’s begin! Below are our reviews of the top 10 tools for home improvement in 2020.
Top 10 Best Tools & Home Improvement In 2020
The market is teeming with hammers...
This is an adjustable jaw size wrench....
First invented in 1933, the tongue and groove pliers are somewhat similar...
Now you may not be familiar with a multimeter, but trust us,...
When you are making cuts for a particular DIY task,...
This entry-level corded circular saw is the best value for money you can get...
Cleaner bathroom? Yes, please. This caddy is stylishly designed...
A hedge trimmer keeps your hedges in shape. ..
An extension cord isn't just an extension cord...
Whether you are cutting wood or metal, mowing the lawn...
#1. Estwing Hammer – 16 oz Straight Rip Claw with Smooth Face & Shock Reduction Grip – E3-16S
The market is teeming with hammers. There are about two and a half dozen types of hammers available today. But none is as useful as the basic hammer with a curved claw that can drive and remove nails from the surface. This made in America 13 inches hammer is made of solid steel. It is forged in a single piece, which accentuates its durability. A shock reducing grip and head weight of 16-ounce pack enough punch to get the job done with ease.
- A very versatile claw
- Forged in a single piece for a durable construction
- Manufactured for the professionals
- Estwing’s patented shock reducing grip for comfort
- Made entirely in the USA
- A very reasonable price considering the work it can do
- A good thumb detector
- The handle is rather short
- Finishing leaves a lot to be desired
- Sometimes amazon ships damaged products ( make sure to return)
#2. Channellock Code Blue Wide Jaw Adjustable Wrench
This is an adjustable jaw size wrench. So it offers a lot more versatility than the ordinary combination wrench. It saves you money as well as space. With a maximum jaw capacity of 1.5 inches and an 8 inches length, you can use it in any cramped space. Additionally, the ruler on its head can take the guesswork out to set precise widths. However, keep in mind that, to protect your tool, you should apply force only to the broad edge rather than the movable head.
- Extra-wide opening up to 1 and ½ inches
- Better grip due to longer jaws
- Four thread knurl
- Non-protruding jaws offer higher capacity
- A very precise jaw design
- Very durable because of the Chrome Vanadium steel construction
- The handle feels like cheap plastic
- Jaws may be too wide for some tasks
- It is rather bulky
#3. Irwin Vise-Grip 10-Inch GrooveLock Pliers
First invented in 1933, the tongue and groove pliers are somewhat similar to an adjustable wrench in many ways. Users can set the capacity of the jaw as per their requirements. This model improves on the previous Traditional design Pliers by introducing a press and slide button and 16 different groove positions. Now, it can spread to a maximum length of 2 ¼ inches and can hold a pipe up to a length of 1 ½ inch diameter.
- Simply press and slide button adjusts lower jaw quicker
- Has multi-groove ratcheting
- Its grip is very comfortable and nonslip
- Very solid and durable construction
- Added strength for accurate handling
- It is a multipurpose tool
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- The top part of the jaw could have been better
- Suitable for DIY projects but not for professional work
- Not made in the USA
#4. Fluke 115 Field Technicians Digital Multimeter
Now you may not be familiar with a multimeter, but trust us, it can turn out to be a real champion in your arsenal. A multimeter combines voltmeter, ammeter, and ohmmeter. See? That is why it is called a multimeter. It combines so many functionalities in one small design that as soon as you learn to operate one, it becomes a powerful and essential item for your setup. This particular model can also accurately measure, frequency, capacitance, and continuity.
- Accurate measurements even on non-linear loads
- Rated for safety measures
- The backlight is very large and bright. Perfect for poorly lit areas
- A convenient tool for troubleshooting any electrical appliance
- Selector and other buttons feel solid and very good
- Fast display
- Reliable measurements
- No repairs when broken
- The display leaves a lot to be desired
- Not made in the USA
#5. Irwin 12-Inch Metal Combination Square
When you are making cuts for a particular DIY task, the first thing you need is a measuring tape. So that you can have an accurate measure of the length of cuts required. This home improvement tool helps you measure, mark out, and even test the squareness of corners if you are building a shelf and making cuts. With a rustproof stainless steel tape blade and a cast zinc construction, this little measure will hold its place in your tool case for a very long time.
- Has a durable cast zinc body that lasts a lifetime
- Its stainless steel blade is rustproof
- Very sturdy and well made
- Very sharp edges
- Easy to read
- Very economical. It does what a $50 tool would have done
- It is somewhat hard to put the blade back in it if removed
- This model feels rather heavy in hands
- Slips occasionally unless you take proper care of the grip
#6. Skil 7¼” Corded Circular Saw
This entry-level corded circular saw is the best value for money you can get. We know it because we tested it. It features a soft and comfortable handle, 15 amp powerful motor, on desk laser to illuminate the work area, and a dust blower to keep your cut line neat and tidy for the work. All at a very reasonable price. It cuts accurately and deep enough to simplify any DIY project.
- A decently powerful motor
- Has a spindle lock feature to accommodate easy and quick blade changes
- Can make a wide variety of cuts thanks to a 51 bevel capacity
- Very lightweight and ergonomic design so you don’t get fatigued
- Has a built-in dust blower to keep the line of work free from dust particles
- Lower guard reduces snags during work
- Very affordable price
- Not intended for professional use
- Blade jams if not regularly oiled
- Gets heated after some time
#7. Mr. Clean 440436 Turbo Plunger and Bowl Brush Caddy Set
Cleaner bathroom? Yes, please. This caddy is stylishly designed to hold both the bowl brush and the turbo plunger. Its non-slip base keeps the caddy well grounded. Rubber grip, sleek design, and an extended rubber plunger provide highly efficient results. It pushes the piles down with very few strokes. Moreover, it returns to its original shape almost immediately.
- Has a rubber grip handle for comfortable handling
- Extended rubber plunger proves more effective
- Very stylish and modern design. Goes very well with any modern bathroom
- The rubber is very soft and flexible
- Has amazing suction power, therefore, you have to make less effort
- Rinses very easily.
- Provides excellent value for the money
- A rather long handle would have gone very well with this design
- The handle isn’t durable
- The brush that comes with it is big and stiff
#8. DEWALT DCHT820P1 Hedge Trimmer
A hedge trimmer keeps your hedges in shape. This particular model delivers remarkable power and a runtime that is more than enough for routine trimming tasks. It can cut branches up to ¾ inches in diameter. This easily manageable tool has a dual blade function that can reach some hard to reach areas as well. Not having a cord gives you the ease of use to carry it all over the property.
- Has dual-action blades that cut branches faster
- Easy to use. Makes the task of trimming hedges very fun and easy
- Its ergonomic design causes 40 percent fewer vibrations when compared with previous models
- Its battery isn’t heavy at all
- It is cordless so you can move around freely without worrying about tripping over a dangling cord
- Works with any Dewalt battery
- Ergonomic design
- Battery life could have been better
- The refund process is a bit time-consuming in case you are not satisfied by the quality of the product and want a refund
- The guard near the blade is very bulky
#9. Southwire 2588SW0002 Outdoor Extension Cord- 12/3 American Made SJTW Heavy Duty 3 Prong Extension Cord
An extension cord isn’t just an extension cord. The life and durability of your electrical appliances depend on the efficiency of your cord. Especially when you are working outdoors or working with any other high power machine, you require a cord that has a minimum gauge. It means it has a higher capacity to handle the power and is made with thicker wires. This model has three conductors that provide sufficient power. What’s more, the end lights illuminate when the power is running through it.
- All-purpose cord – indoors and outdoors
- Yellowjacket is highly visible and will not mark floors or tiles
- Its surface is water-resistant and has excellent quality
- Reinforced blades are very durable
- Lighted end to indicate that the power is still on
- Very economical
- Heavy duty and very durable construction
- Made in Indonesia
- Doesn’t roll up easily
- This cord is a little sensitive to temperature
#10. 3M 8511 Respirator, N95, Cool Flow Valve
Whether you are cutting wood or metal, mowing the lawn, sanding the wood, demolishing a corner, or any other household task, you need to protect your lungs from the ensuring dust particles that are created in the process. 3M Particulate Respirator takes care of that. This pack of 10 respirators has an adjustable nose clip for a clean up close fit and an exhalation valve that keeps you comfortable once you have put it on. Protect your lungs. Try it now!
- Has an approximately 95 percent filtration capacity
- Has a cool flow valve that avoids heat build-up
- Has a breathable design
- Adjustable nose clip for a secure custom fit
- Hand bands are stretchable to ensure comfort
- Very lightweight. You won’t feel it on your face
- Very comfortable for long periods of use
- It is rather small so people who have a bigger face may find it too tight for their face structure
- Any misuse may result in serious health consequences
- Respirator valve could have been better